- This event has passed.
This course was held March 6 in Fortitude Valley, Australia
Monday, March 6, 2023. 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
“Allow me to present to you my colleagues, Dr Sylvia Lee, Cheree Wheaton, and Dr Peter Vitruk who will impart their knowledge on tethered oral tissues and laser dentistry during this seminar. I extend an invitation to all of my colleagues to attend and gain insights on tongue and lip ties, as well as laser frenectomies.“
Enhance your understanding of the issues of laser dentistry, including tongue and lip ties! As many as 5 per cent of all babies born have tongue ties significant enough to cause breastfeeding difficulties. Affected babies often fail to thrive and can be erroneously labelled as “lazy nursers” or “stubborn feeders.”
A good surgical laser for cutting soft tissue must be able to vaporize soft tissue while at the same time efficiently coagulating surgical margins. Not all laser wavelengths are suitable to comply with both requirements. This seminar focuses on the practical aspects of soft tissue laser surgery and the fundamental processes involved in the laser-tissue interaction; it helps attendees learn how deep the laser beam cuts and how deep the coagulation and hemostasis extend into the surgical margins.
- Dr Sylvia Lee, BDS, PGDipClinDent (Paeds)
- Cheree Wheaton, BAppl HSc (Oral Health)
- Peter Vitruk, PhD, MInstP, CPhys
- Background and significance of Tethered Oral Tissues (TOTS)
- Current methods of clinical assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of lingual and labial ties
- Multi-disciplinary approach to treating paediatric tongue- and lip-ties
- Importance of Oral Myofunctional Therapy in the frenectomy pre– and post-care
The laser surgery and safety basic knowledge curriculum for this seminar has been developed by the American Laser Study Club (ALSC). The ALSC’s curriculum overcomes the known limitation of many laser dentistry courses. It includes the detailed physics of soft tissue ablation and coagulation with laser and hot tip (non-laser) devices.
Drinks and Appetizers Will Be Provided
*No CE or CPD credits will be provided.