Integrating Laser Frenectomies and the Function First Model™ into a Dental Practice
This course will be held November 17 - November 18 in Orlando, FL
Testimonials From Past Courses
Enhance your understanding of the issues of pediatric laser dentistry, including tongue-ties and lip-ties! As many as 5 percent of all babies born in the US have tongue-ties significant enough to cause breastfeeding difficulties. Affected babies often fail to thrive and can be erroneously labeled as “lazy nursers” or “stubborn feeders”.
A good surgical laser for cutting soft tissue must be able to vaporize soft tissue, while at the same time efficiently coagulating surgical margins. Not all laser wavelengths are suitable to comply with both requirements. This course focuses on the practical aspects of soft tissue laser surgery and on the fundamental processes involved in the laser-tissue interaction; it helps attendees learn how deep the laser beam cuts and how deep the coagulation and hemostasis extend into the surgical margins. Our hands-on participation lab is designed to train attendees on what surgical lasers can do safely and efficiently.
- Piya Gandhi, DDS
- Alayna Pagnani-Gendron, DC
- Leah Whitley, IBCLC
- Catherine Kangas, RDH, Myofunctional Therapist
- Peter Vitruk, PhD, MInstP, CPhys
Early Bird Special: Save $250 When You Register Before October 1st
Regular Tuition Rates (USD)
Doctors: $1,250; Non-Doctors: $850; ALSC members: $50 off (automatic discount); and LightScalpel users: $50 off (ask us for a coupon code). Register now.
- Background and significance of Tethered Oral Tissues (TOTS);
- Diagnosis of pediatric tongue- and lip-ties;
- Teaching of the Function First Model™ diagnosis and treatment;
- Multi-disciplinary approach to treating pediatric tongue- and lip-ties;
- Lactation support for the breastfeeding tongue-tied dyad;
- Bodywork and alternative therapy for the tongue-tied baby;
- Setting expectations with families and patients;
- Implementing TOTS treatment into a business;
- Building and training an in house team;
- Billing and insurance setup and details;
- Current methods of clinical assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of pediatric lingual and labial ties.
Attendees will be able to:
- Describe infant sucking physiology and how tongue-ties impair infant suck;
- Appropriately use reliable diagnostic criteria to screen babies and children for this condition;
- Clearly express orthodontic-myofunctional connection;
- Discuss how the soft tissues of the orofacial complex may lead to malocclusion, TMD, headaches, and other problems; and
- List and define all consequences and benefits of using lasers to remove oral restrictions.
Laser Surgery and Safety Basic Knowledge Certification Curriculum for this Course has been developed by the American Laser Study Club (ALSC). The ALSC’s curriculum overcomes the known limitations of many laser dentistry courses and includes the detailed physics of soft tissue ablation and coagulation with laser and hot tip (non-laser) devices. Laser hands-on wet lab on tissue samples will include laser safety instructions, frenectomy simulations, and other surgical laser procedure demonstrations. Laser instructions will be assisted by the guest speaker Peter Vitruk, PhD, MInstP, CPhys, a laser physicist who founded the American Laser Study Club, and LightScalpel Inc.
Hands-On Participation Session
- Laser Safety
- Laser Surgical Technique Simulations
- Superficial Ablation
- Superficial Coagulation
- Shallow Incisions
- Deep Incisions
- Practicing Surgical Techniques on a Pig jaw
Course participants, who successfully complete the examination, will be awarded a LASER SAFETY basic knowledge CERTIFICATE from the Board of Laser Safety of the Laser Institute of America (DISCOUNTED cost for the ALSC members), as well as a Laser Dentistry and Laser Surgery Basic Knowledge and Hands-On participation Wetlab CERTIFICATE from the American Laser Study Club (FREE for the course participants).
About the ALSC
American Laser Study Club was founded to promote science-based laser dentistry, surgery, and safety education. The ALSC is proud of its curriculum and its distinguished membership, including our honorary members Gordon J. Christensen, DDS, MSD, PhD, and Rella P. Christensen, RDH, PhD, world-renowned leaders in dental product research and education, who welcomed the ALSC’s mission: “Peter, we congratulate you on starting a laser study club. It is greatly needed, and you are the man to do it.” Other Honorary Members of the ALSC are Charles M. Cobb, DDS, MS, PhD, Professor Emeritus, Department of Periodontics, School of Dentistry, University of Missouri-Kansas City; and C. Kumar N. Patel, PhD, MS, the Inventor of the CO2 Laser; Recipient of National Medal of Science (1996); Member of US National Inventors Hall of Fame 2012; Professor Emeritus, UCLA. The ALSC is proud to have helped many dentists and surgeons.
GLOH Education is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry. This continuing education activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the standards of the ADA Continuing Education Recognition Program (ADA CERP) through joint efforts between GLOH Education and the American Laser Study Club GLOH Education designates this activity for 16 continuing education credits.
*Information, terms, and conditions in this communication are subject to change without prior notice. The American Laser Study Club reserves the right to change the course’s location, date and time, material; and cancel the course. Registered attendees will be notified within a reasonable window of time about any major changes to the course. If a course is canceled, registrants will be notified, via email, two weeks before the course date, at which time a full refund will be issued. Requested refunds will incur a 20% processing fee. No cancelations within 2-weeks of the course date.
Event Tickets / Registration
Member discounts and coupon codes can be applied during the checkout process.